In May, 2011, the University senate approved the establishment of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine & Surgery alongside the B.V.M. curriculum at Egerton. In August 2012 the faculty was hived off from the Faculty of Agriculture and the founding dean appointed. In November, 2012, two veterinary departments (Veterinary Anatomy & Physiology, and Veterinary Clinical Studies) were created. Establishment of the faculty was necessitated by a shortfall of veterinarians amid a growing livestock, pet and wildlife population in the country. The faculty is the 47th veterinary school in Africa. With the exception of University of Pretoria, S. Africa (1920), Khartoum (Sudan, 1938), and Cairo (Egypt, 1946), all the other African veterinary faculties were established after 1960. The Faculty strives to be an accredited seat of veterinary excellence by being locally relevant, regionally pre-eminent and globally competitive. Once fully operational it will offer more practically oriented veterinary curriculum with relevant “Day 1” Veterinary Graduate - O.I.E competencies.
Historical Background of Animal Health Courses
- Diploma in Animal Husbandry was amongst the first programs mounted in 1955 during the colonial era to train the British World War II ex-service white settlers on proper animal production and health. It was later phased out in 1990 after the institution became a full fledged university.
- Diploma in Animal Health was started 1978, with an initial capacity of 30 student. It’s is now a popular program attracting over 80 students applicants annually.
- B.Sc. Animal Health Management was started in 2005, as an Self Sponsored Program . The first batch of JAB students were admitted in 2011. It’s is now a regular program attracting over 67 students annually.
- A short certificate course in Artificial Insemination was started in 2010 with 20 pioneer trainee technicians. The fourth batch of 25 animal inseminators successfully completed the four week intensive course on Friday 13th September, 2013 under the new Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery.
- The curriculum for the Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery (B.V. M &S) program was approved by the university’s senate and the Kenya Veterinary Board in 2011. The first cohort of students is expected in September 2014 on the program.
- Ongoing programs are the Diploma in Animal Health (duration 3years), the B.Sc. Animal Health Management, (duration 4 years).
- The current student enrolment in the faculty stands at 303 students. With its strategic campus location, The faculty hopes to provide a stimulating environment not only for undergraduates, but also for training competent veterinary surgeons. Once fully operational the faculty will offer opportunities for local as well as international students in its academic programmes and is committed to international accreditation. The faculty plans to admit the first batch of students on the Veterinary Medicine degree program in Sept., 2015.
The projected veterinary building complex will comprise: 8 state of the art lecture theatres; equipped teaching laboratories (anatomy, physiology, pathology, microbiology, public health, pharmacology and toxicology, surgical theaters, theriogenology, radiography (CT Scan, X-Ray, MRI Lab), staff offices and administration block. Others include a large and small animal hospital, incinerator, horse stable, sick animal isolation pens, veterinary library and resource centre
The Proposed Faculty of Veterinary Building Complex, Njoro campus
A student-led livestock farm is located on the campus to provide facilities for animal handling and clinical practice. The veterinary school is housed on Tatton Agricultural Park, Njoro campus. The faculty is recruiting new academic and technical staff in preparation for the first cohort of students.